May 16 - 21, 2020
Max Group Size: 10
Basque Flavors & Rioja Vines with Chef Montaño
EXALTED CUISINE BY THE SEA & HALLOWED VINES
Join Executive Chef and co-owner of LA’s acclaimed Otoño restaurant, Chef Teresa Montaño, for an exquisite voyage from the coastal cornucopia of Basque Country to the legendary DOCa vines of La Rioja. Together we’ll explore the robust culinary heritage of Euskadi from its rustic fishing origins and tradition of the asador,
to the family farms and star-studded kitchens defining Basque Country’s gastronomic future. Our voyage will continue as we venture to the iconic Tempranillo terroir of Rioja, from the Alavesa to the Alta, to sip luscious reds and explore the fabled bodegas of this winemaking paradise of the Ebro River Valley.
May 16 - 21, 2020
A taste of what we'll be savoring...
- Five-star stay in San Sebastian at chic Akelarre Hotel created by Chef Pedro Subijana & family
- Exclusive dining experience at Three Michelin Star Akelarre
- Lunch at “World’s 50 Best Restaurant” in Basque Country
- Introduction to ancient Basque fishing traditions with Chef Aitor Arregi of Michelin-starred Restaurant Elkano & special sea to plate dining experience
- In depth examinations of Basque culinary traditions from pintxos and Idiazabal to Turbot and Txakoli
- Exclusive barrel tasting paired with stunning views at fabled Rioja Alavesa bodega
- Vineyard picnic with vertical tasting of Tempranillo based Reservas & Gran Reservas at iconic, fifth generation producer
$5,995 / per person*
based on double occupancy
$6,995 / per person*
based on single occupancy
*Prices subject to change / Airfare not included
- Elegant, handpicked stays with gourmet spirit
- Full-time assistance of a Palatum Host
- All ground transportation from pick-up to drop-off
- Select touring with local guides & epicurean experts
- Daily breakfast
- Seasonally inspired lunches & dinners showcasing regional wines
- Exclusive dining at awarded gastronomic restaurants
- Hands-on cooking experiences highlighting heritage recipes
- Premium winery visits & tastings at storied producers
- Special visits with acclaimed food artisans & organic farmers
- Tastings of local delicacies unique to each region
- Signature cultural touring & all associated tickets/entrance fees
- Palatum Welcome Package in advance of departure
meet the tastemaker
meet the tastemaker
CHEF TERESA MONTAÑO
Teresa Montaño is a New Mexico-born, Los Angeles-based Chef, best known for her modern Spanish cuisine. Teresa’s contemporary perspective on Spanish cuisine integrates creative use of technique and ingredients rooted in Californian sensibility, seasonality, and aesthetic. With roots in the organic food industry and time at local organic farms and the Tender Greens opening team, Teresa developed a strong sense of stewardship towards the environment and sustainable business practices.
An exploratory tour of Europe which included research in Copenhagen, Denmark, Barcelona and Valencia as well as pop-up concepts in Puglia, Italy, inspired Teresa to bring Otoño to life in Los Angeles. Her first restaurant, Ración, was highly lauded by acclaimed food writers and critics, alike, including Jonathan Gold, Amy Scattergood, and Besha Rodell, to name a select few. The restaurant was included in the celebrated LA Times 101 Best Restaurant for the entirety of Teresa’s tenure. Ración also received multiple accolades from LA Weekly and LA Magazine, and recognition on the Diner’s Club World’s 50 Best Restaurants Discovery Series.
A five-star epicurean wonderland along the Bay of Biscay, Akelarre Hotel is the chic creation of Three Michelin Star Chef Pedro Subijana and family.
A Former 16th century palace turned sophisticated wine country stay, four-star Palacio Tondón is an intimate retreat nestled along the Rio Ebro.